Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Week Two: I found Nessie!!

I found Nessie!!!!!!
Okay, so maybe I found an Olde Sweet Shop with a Nessie made of candy. But here it is; week two!

Nothing of real significance has happened that is blog worthy. I have now attended all of my classes. I have one lecture and three seminars. Lecture is when the prof stands in front of the room and talks at you and seminar is smaller groups and the readings for the class are discussed. I have two seminars on Tuesday, a lecture Thursday, and a seminar Friday morning. So compared to back home, I have a lot of free time on my hands which is perfect for doing my readings :P

The big excitement for week two was going to the football (soccer) game in Glasgow with a bunch of people from my building. It was Glasgow Celtics vs Inverness. A bunch of us went early and did some sight seeing of the city and then a few went of to shop and we met up with the rest of the group for the game. I don't know if I can even begin to describe what it was like. For one, I payed attention almost the entire game which is a big accomplishment for me! But more interesting than me paying attention to the game and perhaps the game itself was the crowd. The atmosphere was...I can't find an accurate enough word to use. Foolishly, we did not look up any of the cheers or chants beforehand, so it was difficult to partake. However, there were a few tunes that we recognized such as "This Land is Your Land" and we were able to make the words out to another one: "Lets go boys in green. Lets go green and white." During the second half of the game everyone in the stands, minus the tiny section that supported Inverness, turned around, linked arms, and jumped up and down. This occurred when Inverness was attempting to score. We didn't know what was going on, but we joined in anyway. The end score was 2-0. Celtics win!

Afterwards, we ate an Italian Pizzeria and had a glass of Tennet's which is the ale that is brewed in Scotland. Then a few more people went home and six of stayed behind and went to a few local pubs. In one of the pubs, I saw the weird, drunk Irish guy that I met on the train ride to Glasgow. We did not stay long.

We finally settled in a pub that had karaoke and we brought our youthful energy with us. It was interesting to note that most of the songs they sang (which all the singers could carry a tune) were old American songs. At the end of the night, a remixed version of "Country Road" by John Denver come on and everyone and I mean EVERYONE sang every single word and danced along. And by dancing, I mean linking arms and jumping in time to the song. If I knew how to jig, that's what I would have done.

But now this post is quite long enough and I must go to class soon. So until next week!


Outside the Tennet's Brewery.

The game as started!


In front of the Museum of Art. Every time they remove the the cone, someone puts it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment